Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Two encounters

Two encounters with the tele-sales-woman:

I said two encounters, because first time when she called I was in a meeting and had to disappoint her by declining to speak any further. Yet, even before I could tell her that she had called me at an unfavourable time, she was through with three sentences,

"Hello, I am Pushpa calling from Airtel" {What are you doing at Airtel, dear? I mean why did you have to go there and call?}

"Am I talking to (a long pause) Mr. Ajit Niranjan?" {Yeah, that's me!}

"Yes"

"Sir, thank you for being a customer for Airtel for last six months. Do you have any feedback to give?"- all these words come at a pace which signifies that she is actually reading it out from somewhere. Maybe her handwriting is too bad.

{Don't ever call me, is the only feedback I have, but this is no time for argument}

"Please call me later- I am in a meeting," I try to keep my voice as pleasant as I can.

"When can I call you, sir?"

"After six," I say this without raising my voice, accomplishing a victory over my angered self!

***
A few hours pass, and I happily forget about this call. But the Lady does not. She calls me promptly at around six. Yet, again, she starts-

"Hello, I am Pushpa calling from Airtel"

"Am I talking to
(a long pause) Mr. Ajit Niranjan?"

"Yes"

"Sir, thank you for being a customer for Airtel for last six months. Do you have any feedback to give?"- all these words come at a pace which signifies that she is actually reading it out from somewhere. Maybe her handwriting is too bad.

If you are thinking, I have copy-pasted from the above incidence, you are right. I mean, I am describing the two incidences as they happened, and I have optimised my effort by copy-pasting the conversation. Without making any falsification, that is. And those were precisely the words I heard for the second time around.

Pity her job. And her handwriting, too.

She further asked if I could give her more references so that she could contact them and persuade into buying an Airtel connection. I said no, all of my acquaintances are on Airtel anyway, {and at any cost, I don't want to be the reason of your calling them.}

***
There is no "moral of the story" section. I don't have any good or bad comments about this rather amusing phone call, I wish I don't get any more. And that's that!

No comments: