Friday, May 12, 2006

Oh, they have a word for that?

There is no dearth of words as far as English language is concerned. For anything and everything, you will find a word.

Now, that was a silly statement. If there were "something" existing, and if it were observable, you needed a word for it. And thus you got a word for everything. Well, a language is not limited only to naming only the "existing" things, otherwise we would not have abstract things, like, for example, "fear" or "happiness" etc.

But when I came across the following word, I was overwhelmed.

Readers, can you tell me the meaning of paraskevidekatriaphobia?

You bet, I do not believe in such "creative" beliefs, more so, since I was born on such a date and day combination! Any guesses before you copy-paste it to google?

No comments: