Friday, October 19, 2007

Crossing the Bar

Sunset and evening star,
     And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
     When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as, moving, seems asleep,
     Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
     Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
     And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
     When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
     The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
     When I have crost the bar.
--Alfred Tennyson

While reading "analysis" of some of Tennyson's creations, I came across an interesting description of his works: Tennyson is for enjoyment, for inspiration, rather than for instruction. He is a poet to have open on one's table, and to enjoy as one enjoys his daily exercise.

How true! Enjoy this:

I
     All thoughts, all creeds, all dreams are true,
All visions wild and strange;
     Man is the measure of all truth
Unto himself. All truth is change:
     All men do walk in sleep, and all
Have faith in that they dream:
     For all things are as they seem to all,
And all things flow like a stream.

II
     There is no rest, no calm, no pause,
Nor good nor ill, nor light nor shade,
     Nor essence nor eternal laws:
For nothing is, but all is made,
     But if I dream that all these are,
They are to me for that I dream;
     For all things are as they seem to all,
And all things flow like a stream.

No comments: