Tuesday, April 25, 2006

As simple as it can get

I recently read Sudha Murty's How I Taught My Grandmother to Read and Other Stories .

The back cover of the book categorizes the book as "children's book," - a partial truth, I would say. It had been a long time since I read some simple stories from which a great deal of inspiration and values can be drawn. All the stories are simple - no high class literary language is involved, which is expected, considering the target reader. As a matter of fact, this adds to the impact.

These stories teach a lot - whether it be the author's "confrontation" with the great Jeh, J R D Tata, or the determination of her grandma, to learn reading KannaDa, who shows a great deal of respect to her little teacher.

What makes this book a remarkable read is that it leaves so much to the reader to go back and think upon. The author just initiates a thread, supports it with an extremely intelligent "story" and the result is tremendous.

I am looking forward to her more "literary" novels, especially, Mahashweta.

No comments: