Thursday, June 23, 2005

A Mysterious Attacker

After a memorable morning walk through the beautiful campus of IISc, I returned to my room, with a clearer conscience and beautiful thoughts. When I opened the door, I sensed that something was wrong, with the air and the chair. The chair had decided to take rest and fallen to the floor. The air sprayed a peculiar smell. Perhaps the chair might have lost the balance when I left the room somewhat hastily, I thought. But when I had a close look, it was something different. Things on my table (arranged with utmost randomness and chaos) were almost in their places. The papers and books had not moved a micron. The synthesizer also looked mute, as it was earlier. Not a single lifeless thing had moved!

Then my eyes searched for it. I could see no other reason for such a disarray. And it was confirmed soon. I had lost my mango! They give a mango to go with somewhat tasteless dinner on Tuesdays. I had managed to smuggle two mangoes out of the mess and kept on my table. One of the mangoes was claimed by a friend, leaving only one for me. I usually do not close the windows and balcony door in the mornings, and today didn't prove to be any exception (the walk, however, was exceptional, but that's not the point). Perhaps, I paid the price of smuggling : an illegal deed.

A mysterious attacker had struck in the calmness of the morning. I looked out in the balcony, only to find the skin of the mango and a few drops of internals. The scene was quite untidy. And sorrowful too. A crow cannot fly inside the room, topple the chair and peel off the mango so skillfully. And a crow does no mischief to return the seed and the skin back to the owner!

It remains a mystery to this minute what exactly happened in that span of one-one and half hours. Perhaps a monkey... quite possible. The monkey must have been a clever and considerate fellow. He did not touch anything else, not that books would have meant a lot to him, but "he" did not play any other mischief. I must stop smuggling mangoes or else should keep the window and the door shut. That should be it.

But as of now, I have lost my mango...mysteriously!

No comments: