Saturday, January 29, 2005

Of Human Bondage

It has been months and months since I read something worth while other than technical books. I was browsing through a few not-yet-issued-out books at the Ranade Library, and the thick volume of "Of Human Bondage" popped up. I had heard of Maugham's name from Mihir in his post about "Moon and Sixpence". And as it happens many a times, the first to ring in your mind is the only one that you take home, I got it issued for me.

With english novels, and classics, I find first fifty-hundred pages the most difficult to handle. Once I am through them, I reach the end deterministically. This time, since I had two long journeys to Kolkata and back at my disposal, I made my mind to read this 600-odd page classic to the end. I find it difficult to read. Maugham's style of story-telling is slow and in perfect agreement of the title of the book, it takes time to explain the bondages. If you ask me what's the story, I would not be able to answer it, for I do not think that there is any story as such in this masterpiece. The events are immaterial - what's important is the persons and their relationships. The story, however revolves around Philip Carrey, (it is claimed that the book is based on Maugham's personal experiences in his early life). Philip is in search of his identity. He is quite unsure of which direction he should follow for his career. His uncle wishes he become a clergyman like him after going to Oxford. He tries his hand at learning German in Germany, and then painting at Paris. After realising that he is not so good at the professions he has chosen so far, he decides to take up audit-work as a clerk, where, again he fails. Finally he decides to go into medical profession as his (late) father. He goes through all sorts of ups and downs during his Journey, both economically and psychologically. He falls in love numerous times and his true love always betrays him - he doesn't care about the dedication and money he puts in to help Mildred. During the War, he slumps to worst of the financial conditions and has to suspend his effort for earning certificate for medical practice. At least temporarily. He struggles. Struggles and finally comes through. And as should happen in a novel, he finally finds the Truth and Love, which he constantly is in search of.

At Amazon's site, I read one review about this book, which says "One of my favourites... but why?" . I think I can also best describe this book by borrowing these words!

Eagerly waiting for "Moon and Sixpence" and "Cakes and Ale". The latter is available in the library and I am already staking claim on that one!

No comments: