Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Home and the World

"I am willing," he said, "to serve my country; but my worship I reserve for Right which is far greater than my country. To worship my country as a god is to bring a curse upon it." - Nikhil
"And so I will bear what you people are pleased to call false witness, as they have done who have created empires, built up social systems, founded religious organizations. Those who would rule do not dread untruths; the shackles of truth are reserved for those who will fall under their sway. Have you not read history? Do you not know that in the immense cauldrons, where vast political developments are simmering, untruths are the main ingredients?" - Sandip
"My country does not become mine simply because it is the country of my birth. It becomes mine on the day when I am able to win it by force" - Sandip

Truth v/s the Reality, Heart v/s the Head, Intuition v/s insight, Home v/s the World - so many duels
The novel and movie is so relevant in these times (first published in 1915).
Satyajit Ray takes the novel to another level, another must watch (and not just watch, but the deep thought afterwards).

Book is available on Gutenberg/Amazon (free): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7166

No comments: