Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Missing OS

My IBM laptop (or rather, the company-provided laptop that I use) is notorious for giving me scares at wrong times. Today, I had an important meeting, and ten minutes before the meeting when I tried to boot it up, it yawned. It let out a few cries and looked at me with a blank face. Having known this buddy for quite a while now, I pressed the power button again to wake it up.

To my further surprise, it completely ignored my wake-up call and provided me with "Missing operating system," his love - Microsoft Windows xP.

I remembered the old joke about a software engineer in a car that wouldn't start.

I had no choice but to press the power-on button again: and not to my surprise, the machine booted up quite nicely.

The operating system had finally answered the laptop's call.

No comments: