Thursday, June 21, 2007

Subtle humour

Some of the masterpieces from "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K Jerome.

  • For the next four days he lived a simple and blameless life on thin captain's biscuits (I mean that the biscuits were thin, not the captain) and soda-water; but, towards Saturday, he got uppish, and went in for weak tea and dry toast, and on Monday he was gorging himself on chicken broth.
  • I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, and the only malady I could conclude I had not got was housemaid's knee. [...] I sat and pondered. I thought what an interesting case I must be from a medical point of view, what an acquisition I should be to a class! Students would have no need to "walk the hospitals," if they had me.
  • Rainwater is the chief article of diet at supper. The bread is two-thirds rainwater, the beefsteak-pie is exceedingly rich in it, and the jam, and the butter, and the salt, and the coffee have all combined with it to make soup.
  • George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two
  • "What can I get you, sir?" --- "Get me out of this," was the feeble reply.
  • Harris always does know a place round the corner where you can get something brilliant in the drinking line. I believe that if you met Harris up in Paradise (supposing such a thing likely), he would immediately greet you with:
    "So glad you've come, old fellow; I've found a nice place round the corner here, where you can get some really first-class nectar."
Since long I was longing for such a subtle humour (humour: I cannot quite call it comedy).

Each page, each paragraph of this book is filled with English sense of humour (to understand it one must possess sense of English humour, though). More about it when I finish reading the book.

1 comment:

PossumCrepes said...

Sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out sometime.