Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Attitude differences

This is what two managers said after a tense UEFA champions league semifinal that saw Liverpool edging past Chelsea for a place in the final:

Rafael Benítez, Liverpool manager
We started really well but they have good players and it was difficult to control the game. Chelsea were fantastic in the second half, they played really well but we were working really hard around our box. We had some chances to finish the game but didn't take them. I think the players knew today how to beat Chelsea. They played with determination and passion and with our supporters behind them. Our supporters were superb and the atmosphere was amazing. I am really proud of them and my players.
[...]

José Mourinho, Chelsea manager
They had a good short period in the first half, but I saw one team in blue playing to win the game. We deserve to be in the final. Chelsea were the better team in the first leg, for 90 minutes in this leg and in extra time. In ten to 20 years nobody will remember that. A penalty shoot-out is part of the game and they were stronger at that part of the game. Chelsea showed more appetite in trying to win the game but at the end of the day they're in the final. Congratulations. I have to be proud of my players and share this difficult moment with them. I know Chelsea fans' hearts and every fan will be disappointed but supportive.
Chelsea manager's quotes do not surprise me at all. With all that history, this was quite expected. And probably the coach is the chief reason for my not liking Chelsea at all! (and probably the same reason applies to Liverpool in better sense).

No comments: