Monday, May 29, 2006

Before time : Train and, rain too

Traces of thoughts during my Bangalore-Nashik journey.
---

There is no thumb rule for margin one needs to keep for his journey to the Bangalore station. I started at six-thirty to catch my train at eight O'clock [same day ;-)] and still, almost missed the train. Late Friday showers didn't help either, except to clean any dust on my hand-bag. The traffic didn't relent due to the rain, and the bus seemed to take an eternity.
---

As I enter the train, I am satisfied with the lighting arrangements- it's not those ugly yellow bulbs, but white light emitting tubes in my coach.
---

Owing to a late booking, my seat is a side-lower berth. I occupy it and am about to settle down when a miyan with his characteristic beard asks me to kindly exchange my seat with his, so that he can be close to his family. I accept.
---

The train is quite full of people. And that is quite expected, the month being that of vacations and holidays, and in particular the day being a friday.
---

The compartment is full of techies. The guy takes out his laptop (while he is speaking over phone) and starts playing a Himesh Reshamiya song. I try to concentrate on my dinner which is not-so-delicious veg-pulao.
---

After an hour or so, I see that guy pulling out a PCMCIA wireless card. Soon he is browsing the net. Checking the India's score, which is, as expected, pathetic at 99/3. But I am amazed by this demonstration of reach of technology. Impressive. More so, since I am sitting in a second-class sleeper coach with chai-wallaha and beggers are passing by through the overcrowded train.
---

The night is a bit windy, but everything is quiet inside. I help myself to a nice refreshing sleep.
---

The train wakes up to the aroma of nescafe.
---

At one of those stations, the techie part of the compartment alights and we are left with a vociferouis crowd of elderly ladies. I am happy that I don't understand their language.
---

The crowd builds up as the train makes a couple of more stops. After while I realise that me and another young fellow are the only guys with a legitimate reserved tickets. Of course, we don't complain.
---

There is a maraaThi family in the next compartment. The ladies there seem to have not got the A/C tickets and having to travel by the second class, for they have a class of their own. No wonder, I see only one person per seat in that compartment.
---

Occasional tea vendor and biscuit sellers make much noise. Out of the blue, as a pleasant surprise, a flower-seller lady arrives. Refreshes the air with charismatic aroma, and yes, the minds too.
---

There is much talk about reservations in the train. But I guess, it is more from the general people asking the non-reserved travellers to vacate their seats. Change the context, and marvel at how different the same word sounds...
---

The train picks up speed and makes up for the time lost during the night.
---

The train reaches Pune ten-minutes before time. An auto-rickshaw takes me to the bus-stand in the next ten minutes. I really am surprised at the traffic levels in Pune. Envy should be the word, rather.
---

On my way to Nashik, I come across torrential rains. Winds at I-don't-know-at-what-speed and dustlike things flying all over. Overall, it's nice weather, except for lightening. I don't know how to describe - CLICK-CLICK- the shimmering light and the sound that comes as its result.
---

Soon the bus passes the rain zone, and I drift away to a much needed sleep.
---

At about 9:30, the bus' headlights become part of the city lights which I have seen from a long distance half hour ago.
---

And after a journey that lasts twenty five hours or so, I am home!

No comments: