Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Walkie-Walkie

I have discovered a new joy in walking. Walking and thinking. In the cool air of the morning, clouds crowded in the sky, wind blowing away some of the lighter ones, and myself stepping away meters and meters of empty road. Roads, all covered by trees, and covered in patches by flowers. I take a look at my watch and try to project my location after say, about five minutes. And in my mind I try to locate myself ~five years later. Unfortunately paths in time are not well laid out, at least for now, unlike my morning-walk path.

One hour of walking takes a lot out of me. A lot of physical strength and mental processing as well. The solitude makes me think of things that I could never afford after the morning is past. The freshness after the walk is incomparable. I try to concentrate on some general idea for a story or say a poem, but other thoughts don't allow any continuity whatsoever. It's best not to try to churn out ideas, but wait until they actually happen to you.

Exhausted, exhilarated and all refreshed, I return. Back to the long day's work, till the next morning again wakes me up.

It does not come as a surprise that a great cricketer Adam Gilchrist has taken to walking. No wonder!

No comments: